The new telephone building on Botersloot opened its doors in 1951. For over a century, Botersloot was the centre of telephony in Rotterdam.
Blaak bank buildings
In the early years of reconstruction three banks were build on the Blaak.
Rotterdam builds a metro
On 9 February 1968 the Rotterdam metro officially opened, with as very first passengers Princess Beatrix and Prince Claus.
Late 1953 newspapers announced that the famous Hilton Hotel Organization decided to build a hotel in Rotterdam.
The Savoy Hotel on the corner of Hoogstraat and Kipstraat was an initiative from Wereldhaven.
The Euromast of architect Maaskant is in 1960 a symbol of progress, after the extension with the space tower in 1970 it remained the highest building in Rotterdam
Sint Dominicus Catholic Steiger Church
The Steiger Church was intended as a place of silence and contemplation in the bustling city centre.
Railway post office
De Heuvel building
De Heuvel was an initiative by the CHJ, an organisation that offered spiritual and social training to secondary level pupils, students and working youths.
The reconstruction of Rotterdam was an excellent opportunity to tackle the flow of traffic in the centre.
Ben Maltha Garage / Sint Lucia Female Teacher Training College
De garage van Ben Maltha (1916-?), een bekende motorcoureur (Nederlands kampioen 350 cc), zat al voor de oorlog in de Aert van Nesstraat.
Market on the Binnenrotte
The best-known market in Rotterdam is the weekly market at Binnenrotte, with 465 stalls and an average of 70,000 visitors.
The Mariniersweg housing block forms a single entity with the housing and shops on Pannekoekstraat at the rear.
The head office of the Verenigde Spaarbank on Botersloot was badly damaged by the bombardment.
Bijenkorf department store
Bijenkorf department store moves after the war into a new building of architect Breuer at the Coolsingel
Lijnbaan apartment buildings
The layout of the Lijnbaan, which separates shops and apartments, paved the way for a new concept of urban living: high-rise blocks arranged around green courts.
Galeries Modernes opens
On 8 November 1956 the new building of Galeries Modernes was officially opened.
A Jew from Poland, Abraham Tuschinski (1886‒1942) departed for the United States, but only got as far as Rotterdam. In 1911 he opened his first cinema, Thalia, on Coolvest.
Bongers Tearoom (Pancake pavilion)
The Bongers Tearoom on Meent is such a familiar Rotterdam building that few people realise it was designed by an architect.
The Groenendaal Housing project illustrate well the confrontation between two styles of architecture that dominated the post-war period in the Netherlands.
Shop and enjoy in the Twaalfprovinciënhuis
With a sense of bravura similar to the completion of the Market Hall in October 2014, the Twaalfprovinciënhuis shopping centre opened in 1955.
The Huf shop was a shoe shop by Anton Hof on the Hoogstraat since 1924.
The Groothandelsgebouw is the symbol of the reconstruction of Rotterdam.
Lijnbaan shopping precinct
In the post-war years the Lijnbaan marked a revolution in urban design. Instead of shops with housing above along both sides of a street of traffic, such as Hoogstraat, the Lijnbaan shops lined pedestrian promenades.
Pannekoekstraat commercial building
The Pannekoekstraat commercial building is a double building with retail space on the ground floor.
For a long time Stadstimmerhuis meent has been the name given to the building that houses city departments that deal with construction.
The Hoogstraat Shops were three retail buildings opened one after another in quick succession on Hoogstraat.
Van Stolk Royal Traders
Located on the corner of Delftsevaart and Lombardkade is the building of Van Stolk Royal Traders.
Institution for the Blind
The ‘Work Institution for the Blind People in Need’ was a society set up in 1851.
De Nederlanden van 1845 office building (Café Dudok)
Café Dudok was the office of life assurance company De Nederlanden van 1845.
Restoration of the Laurenskerk
The Laurenskerk was badly damaged by the bombing of May 1940, though the spire itself remained largely intact.
Goudsesingel Industrial Building
The architects Hugh Maaskant and Willem van Tijen built in post-war Rotterdam the Industrial Building at the Goudsesingel.
Before the war, the Rotterdamsche Bankvereeniging (known as Robaver) and Amsterdamsche Bank were located close to each other on Coolsingel, on the site of what is now the Bijenkorf department store.
In the Bouwcentrum, professionals and interested parties could go for exhibitions and objective information about building and living.
GEB local electricity substation
The GEB local electricity substation was needed to supply electricity to the shops and businesses in the centre.
An annual Construction Day was held in Rotterdam every year starting in 1947. On that day the reconstruction of the city was celebrated.
From the spring of 1946 on, so-called Reconstruction Rides (‘Wederopbouwritten’) took groups on bus tours to building projects.
The Basic Plan by Van Traa
In the Basic Plan the idea of the old city triangle was abandoned more fully.
The Minerva House on Meent is part of a block largely completed during the period of reconstruction.
First pile of Wereldhaven
During a speech by Johan Ringers on 15 April 1941 the first pile went into the ground for the Wereldhaven housing complex.
Plan Witteveen, the first reconstruction plan
The Plan Witteveen was made by the engineer Willem Gerrit Witteveen four days after the bombardement.